Monday, February 15, 2021

Kavalan Series Part 4 of 10 - Kavalan King Car Conductor Single Malt Whisky Review

Here is the fourth in a series of 10 Kavalan whisky reviews. You can read more background in part 1 but the TL;DR version is fellow local redditor /u/onewaybackpacking graciously brought back one of these cool Kavalan sampler packs back from Taiwan for me. Thus far in the series we have had:

  1. Classic Single Malt
  2. Concertmaster Single Malt
  3. Podium Single Malt

Today we will be covering King Car Conductor which I can't find much credible information on how it was aged so all we can say is NAS whisky. As a brief reminder, I am mostly an American whiskey drinker who occasionally dabbles in malts so take that for what it is worth. This is the last sub 50% ABV whisky in the mix, so I think things should be looking up from here as the coming samples are likely much more my style.

picture

Taiwanese Single Malt Whisky; No Age Statement; 46% ABV

Nose: Mostly caramel / honey sweets and grains, like sugar coated bran cereal. There is some of the calling card tropical fruit I have found in all the whiskies in this series thus far as well. It is very bourbon like to some extent, minus the lack of corn grain flavors. The nose is a little flat - maybe the most boring yet.

Taste: A lot like the nose - upfront is floral and sweet, then transitions to juicy island fruits like bananas and pineapples, and then the finish rounds out with a little bit of dry baking spice and what I would describe as powdery runts candy. The finish is rather short and the heat is pretty minimal, about what I'd expect for 86 proof. It drinks like a fruity, bourbony Scotch. 

Thoughts: This was okay. Again I appreciate the fruity tropical forward notes I am finding in all of these Kavalans but this one didn't have much else to wow me. On the plus side, it didn't have the earthiness or bitterness I found in some of the other ones, so I can find no real flaws other than it just being a little flat for my tastes. I'd imagine at ~50% I'd like this quite a bit more.

Rating: C / C+

Note that price is not considered when assigning a rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment