Thursday, October 30, 2014

Maker's Mark Cask Strength Review

Maker's Mark was the whiskey that really drew me into bourbon. I cut my teeth on it after years of Jack Daniels products. My tastes have come a long way since then and these days I'd consider the standard Maker's a C+/B-. It's still my go to when selections are slim somewhere like an airport bar or wedding. I certainly don't turn my nose up at it but it is a little young and kinda thin for my liking now. Needless to say when heard they were coming out with cask strength version I was elated. There is some stiff competition in the wheated bourbon market 10 years and under though so let's see how Maker's stacks up.

56.6% ABV; Batch 14.01; No Age Statement; $40 (375ml)

The nose is sweet with a slight cinnamon spice but nowhere near the cinnamon bomb that is Old Weller Antique. The taste has lots and lots of honey and vanilla. There is also some slight medicinal and unbalanced astringency which I think is the young age rearing its head. It is incredibly drinkable neat, it doesn't taste like 113 proof. The finish is where this one really shines though. There are lots of deep and dark sweet cocoa notes which linger for quite a long time.
Thoughts: I had high hopes and this one really delivered. This is everything Maker's Mark should be. What I would really love now though is to taste this one with a few more years in the wood. I did a side by side against Old Weller Antique 107 and Old Rip Van Winkle. My rankings: ORVW > MMCS > OWA. It's doesn't have the young hot harshness of OWA but it lacks the depth, body, and complexity of the Old Rip. Again that's age handicap but I think at 10 years it might be able to top the Van Winkle.
Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment