Sunday, October 26, 2014

Michter's 10yr Single Barrel #14A19 Review

Up today I am reviewing the last remnants of a bottle from a non-distiller producer that doesn't have the best reputation. Michter's has been known for some shady antics lately and there is at least one bourbon nerd who hates them with a passion. Of course even he will tell you that as dodgy as they have been they have released some great bottles over the years. These days though the well has run dry on their previous legendary sources like Stitzel Weller and best guess is they are now sourcing from wherever they can like most NDPs.

I opened this bottle several months ago at a whiskey tasting and everyone immediately honed in that it smelled and tasted almost exactly like 2013 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. We broke out an OFBB to taste/smell side by side and it was obvious that while it was slightly different they were definitely from the same source. I've since had several conversations on Twitter with the aforementioned bourbon nerd and he confirmed we are most likely correct in our assumption of Brown-Forman as their current source. Given all that, here is a review from someone who is generally not a Brown-Forman fan and doesn't care for OFBB.


47.2% ABV; Aged 10 Years; $95

Nose: The nose is incredible. It is identical to OFBB '13 which I think has the best nose of any bourbon I've tried. The scents are full, intricate, and complex. It's wonderfully sweet with loads of honey and vanilla but there are also lots of intermingled clove spices. I also get some fruits like peaches and even some nuts like pecans or walnuts. It is very unique and unlike any other bourbon (except the OFBB line) that I've ever smelled.
Taste: Again spot on with the OFBB '13 except one drastic difference for me. The astringent acetone that kills OFBB for me just isn't there. It's like all the beauty of the nose compacted onto your taste buds. There is an elegant bouquet of honeysuckle, gingerbread, orange rinds, clove spice, and light cinnamon. That may sound super busy but really it's not. It's wonderfully balanced and nuanced.
Thoughts: I really did not expect to like this given my distaste for OFBB but I became infatuated with this bottle. It's incredibly unique, sweet, and has lots of delicate spices. I've been around the whiskey block long enough to know that I probably just got lucky with a super honey barrel though. As much as I loved this, given the high cost, I don't know that I would take a chance on buying another one given their lack of transparency.
Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment