Thursday, June 18, 2015

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Reviews: 112.8 (2014) vs. 108.4 (01-99)

This is another review I did as part of the /r/bourbon community review series.
Rare Breed is a barrel proof bourbon from Wild Turkey that has been around for quite a while. If you want to read more about a history of the product, Josh over Red White & Bourbon has a nice write-up that is better than anything I could but together so I highly encourage you to check it out.
A few months ago I reviewed the previous batch of Rare Breed (RB03) that was phased out in 2014. I quite liked that bottle and thought it was a great value for the price. Today I’ll be comparing the most recent batch that you can find on the shelves today with a sample of an earlier batch “01-99” that my source guesses to be from 1999.
bottle
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (112.8)
2014: 56.4% ABV; Blend of blend of 6, 8, and 12 years; $35
Notes: The nose is heavy on fusel alcohols even after airing out for a while. I mostly smell spicy menthol rye and only a little vanilla or oak. On the tongue some sweetness and oak starts to come in but it tastes somewhat harsh and young. A spicy rye bite comes on pretty early in the palate and is heavy handed all the way through to the finish. Toward the back of the palate and the finish there are some dark sweet flavors which help add some much needed depth. In a way it reminds me of salty cinnamon apple oatmeal only replace the oats with toasted corn and dark rye bread.
Thoughts: Looking over my notes from the previous RB03 batch, I would say the nose and taste of this 112.8 batch are a step down. The finish is okay but in general my guess would be that the whiskeys here are slanted towards a younger blend as it tastes more raw and less complex. Overall, I still like it and it’s a good value for a barrel proof bourbon but Wild Turkey 101 might now be a better play.
Rating: C+ / B-

Wild Turkey Rare Breed 01-99 (108.4)
Notes: The nose is sweeter, richer, and smells way more mature than the current batch. There are some nice savory notes like smokey barbecue and leather. The rye spice is there but much better balanced and it’s not nearly as hot as the current batch. The palate resonates all the nice intricacies of sweet, savory, and spice from the nose but also comes with a remarkable chewy mouthfeel. It’s rich, sweet, and has a soft spice tint rather than a heavy pepper blast. There’s quite a bit more oak influence than in the more recent batches as I pick up on some slight tea-like bitterness but it’s a nice compliment to the sweet richness.
Thoughts: This is wonderful stuff and really caught me by surprise. I expected it was better than even the last batch of Rare Breed but its honestly in a different league. It really tastes like a completely different bourbon. It’s a shame the current stuff doesn’t taste anything like this because I would always keep a bottle of this on hand.
Rating: B+ / A-

No comments:

Post a Comment