Saturday, February 7, 2015

Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel Review

After a bit of a break from whiskey in the month of January I'm back and working through some bottles that have been in the cabinet a little too long. Up today is a whiskey from a line of products that I am pretty fond of and that has a pretty good reputation in the bourbon community. In my whiskey group's blind single barrel tasting a few months ago not only was it my personal pick but it was also was the group's number one pick as well. Another thing it has going for it is that it isn't impossible to acquire. In a day and age where reviews seem too focused on rare/limited whiskeys it's refreshing to come back to something that most of us can actually find on the shelf.
50% ABV; No Age Statement; $70
The nose is a good balance of oak and sweet with only a slight touch of ethanol / furniture polish. The palate offers a lot more of the same. The wood influence initially gives it a dry oak taste but the traditional bourbon sweetness comes in and balances it all out nicely. I tend to get a lot of peachy/pear fruit notes in EHT Small Batch and while they are definitely present here they are also toned down a bit. The sometimes slightly harsh char notes I get from the Small Batch aren't nearly as noticeable here either. The finish dances around a deep rich fudgy sweetness that is reminiscent of its older uncle Stagg from the same mashbill. If given a few more years in the wood and some more proof you could definitely catch the family resemblance but as is it's a far stretch from that level of depth.
Thoughts: It's a pretty solid, classic bourbon but it isn't going to blow you away. Other than the price I can't really think of anything negative to say about it. It is a little expensive for what it is and I don't think I love it quite as much as the EHT Rye which is around the same price point. It's certainly a step up from the Small Batch though and if you pressed me I would say it's worth the extra $25. What I really see this as is a great gift bourbon - it tastes good, it's reasonably available, it's above average in price, and it even comes with a fancy tube.
Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment