Sunday, January 26, 2014

Booker’s (Batch C06-B-15) Review

63.55% ABV; Aged 7 years 3 months; Batch# C06-B-15; $60

Nose: Lots of hot fire. I had to let it breath about 10 minutes. After it aired out I get vanilla, sweet brown sugar, and believe or not, pancakes. Bourbon pancakes!
Taste: Spicy rye and heat punches you in the mouth but then a rush of caramel sweetness. Lovely balance of spice and sweet. 
Finish: Slow, long finish. sweet caramel and maple syrup, spicy sharp mint, slight resiny oak and a good bit of barrel char. Bitter citrus. Then a pleasant deep rich dark cocoa lingers. Burn is pretty deep which prolongs the finish. The classic peanutty Beam yeast flavor is very pronounced which with the dark cocoa I liken the lasting flavor here to chocolate peanut butter. 
Notes: Man, we've got a live one here. This guy is a fire breathing monster. I know Booker Noe felt 7 years was the perfect age for a bourbon but I would love to see what this guy tastes like after a few more years in the wood. It’s really great but not quite as drinkable at proof as some of my other barrel strength favorites like Colonel Taylor or Elijah Craig. I was still able to power through without adding any water which is my litmus test for a good barrel proof whiskey. The flavor was sweet and rich enough that I couldn't bring myself to cut it. It’s a damn fine bourbon and something I will probably always keep stocked.
Rating: B / B+

No comments:

Post a Comment