Friday, January 24, 2014

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 133.2 (3rd Release) Review

Up for my fifth review is Elijah Craig Barrel proof. I have fond memories of the Elijah Craig 18 year Single Barrels from the past and I'm a big fan of barrel strength whiskey so I was greatly looking forward to trying this one. 


66.6% ABV; Aged 12 years; $55

Nose: Huge sweet wafts of booze soaked cherry, think cherry Nyquil. Hints of candied roasted nuts. For being 133 proof, the heat is tolerable. Just by the heat index I would have never guessed the proof is so high but the intensity of the sweetness gives it away as a big boy.
Taste: Big licorice spice and heat in the front palette. The cherry from the nose makes a big appearance but this time deeper, richer, and more like dark cherries. Very, very drinkable considering the proof. Light cocoa notes come in on the end of the palette. The feel is rich and velvety, incredibly satisfying.
Finish: More cocoa lingers but this time darker and more bitter. The cherries are still there but less sweet and more fermented. The finish is little shorter than I would have liked given how intense the nose and taste proved to be. The finish is where this one falls just a little short for me. The flavor subsides quicker than I would like leaving the heat to rear its head.
Notes: I really, really like this one. I’m a huge fan of barrel strength bourbons and my litmus test with them is always whether I feel like I want to add any water. I enjoy the deep, sweet, thick flavor so much I can’t bring myself to cut it which is a win for me. Against the other barrel proof monsters this year, I’d put this leaps and bounds over the Stagg Jr. I still don’t think it is quite as good as the EH Taylor Barrel Strength but only by the slightest margin. The Taylor is just a little more well rounded, especially on the finish. That is really just splitting hairs though. Considering that the Taylor is about $30 a bottle more, the Elijah Craig is certainly the smarter buy. 
Rating: A- / B+

No comments:

Post a Comment