Thursday, February 6, 2014

Stagg Jr #1 (134.4) Review

I’m a huge fan of George T. Stagg. Previous vintages are some of my favorite bourbons of all time. Given that, I was delighted when I heard about the forthcoming release of Stagg Jr. 

67.2% ABV; No Age Statement; $55

I usually do all my reviews neat with no water. My attempt at doing that with this one the heat was so overpowering I couldn't nose anything. The taste was nothing but pure pepper and engulfing flames of burn. It is without question the angriest bourbon I’ve ever tasted. At that point I had to stop the review and start over after adding water (which is not something I usually do).

Nose: Cherries are much more pronounced now. Candy corn. Slight honey. Still a little hot but not bad.
Taste: Pepper is still there in a big way. Lots of salt. Honey from the nose comes in stronger. Salted caramel. The heat that remains is more angry sharp heat than just warm and comforting. I love high rye bourbons but the spice flavor here is so peppery and unlike any other rye spice I’ve encountered.
Finish: Salt and Pepper from the taste still predominate. The pepper just won’t go away. A more traditional minty wintergreen rye flavor begins to finally creep in. Barrel char stops in to say hello. There is a decent deep chocolate cocoa that fades in after the pepper notes subside but you have to really dig for it. The finish is moderate in length.
Notes: I like to think I’m an barrel proof elitist. I can usually thoroughly enjoy a good barrel proof bourbon at strength without ever need to cut it with water. I just couldn’t do that here. I had to add more water to this than I ever have with any other bourbon and this is coming from a guy who will fawn over 142 proof GTS neat. Overall, the aggressive pepper assault, sharp stabbing heat, and requirement for water really put this one way down on my list. If I had to sum it up in a sentence it would be “put it back in the barrel, it’s not done yet.”
Rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment