Saturday, June 6, 2015

W.L. Weller Centennial Louisville Review

Today marks 38 years for me in this world so this morning started out in a celebratory phase. After coffee and what might be the world’s greatest donut (Luxardo Cherry Glaze Cronut), my mission for the morning was breakfast/brunch at Husk Nashville. The cheeseburger at Husk is one of the best I’ve had and one of my favorite meals in the city. As glorious as the food at Husk is, they also have quite a collection of rare Stitzel Weller bourbons that are said to be from chef Sean Brock’s own personal stash. Having already sampled the 1958 Old Fitzgerald the last time I was there I went with another whale from my bourbon wishlist, W.L. Weller Centennial. There are a couple variations of Weller Centennial but this is supposed to be the Stitzel Weller Louisville one rather than the Buffalo Trace Frankfort bottling.
bottle
50% ABV; Aged 10 years; $60 (1oz)
Notes: The nose is a classic wheated bourbon with a blast of cake batter, dark sugary fruits like dates, and some light cinnamon. The palate continues with the same classic notes - more vanilla cake batter, some slight spicy cinnamon, and sugar coated dark fruits. The finish tapers off with a little bit of old oak mixed in with dark sweets. Like the 1950s Old Fitzgerald I previously reviewed, the mouthfeel might be the single best part. The texture is thick and chewy but at the same time silky smooth. Simply sublime.
Thoughts: I was expecting to be underwhelmed but was pretty blown away by this. I’ve been known to mouth off that I prefer Old Bernheim wheaters to Stitzel Weller wheaters but I’m ready to stop saying that. This is probably the second best bourbon I’ve ever had behind the 50’s Old Fitz. It’s a perfect age so the oak notes are there but not too funky, the mouthfeel is incredible, the taste is decadently rich, and the proof is hardly noticeable. It’s everything you want in a bourbon.
Rating: A+, nearly perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment