Friday, May 1, 2015

1958 Very Old Fitzgerald 8 year Bottled in Bond Review

I’ve never considered myself the world’s biggest Stitzel-Weller bourbon fan. I really love wheated bourbons but when it comes to old wheaters I’ve been know to say I actually prefer wheated bourbons from the old Bernheim Distillery. I’ve had later era Stitzel Weller in the form of Pappy Van Winkle and while I think it’s good I don’t really feel the urge to seek it out. If you follow any celebrity chefs or other people who have been to the top of bourbon mountain though I am pretty sure most of them would tell you that the really old stuff from the 50’s and 60’s is as good as it gets. Honestly I’ve always thought there is probably some level of overhyped elitism going there but deep down I’ve always been really curious to try some just to be sure. When I heard Sean Brock had released some of his private collection to his restaurant Husk I figured I might never had another chance to try some so I let go of the death grip on my wallet and bellied up to the bar.
bottle
50% ABV; Aged 8 Years (1950-1958); $160/oz
Notes: The nose is classic Stitzel-Weller scents - dark fruits like dates, molasses, and light cinnamon. It also has hints of funky old oak but just enough to be interesting without being overbearing. The nose is very rich and it smells older than it is. I would have guessed 11-12 years just from a sniff. On the first sip the thing I immediately noticed was the incredible lush mouthfeel. It’s thick and chewy without being oily which reminds me a lot of the Hirsch 16’s divine texture. The taste echoes all the great notes from the nose but with even more deep dark sugar, fig fruits, and just the right tannic complexity without being too oaky. The finish lingers with deep sweetness and wood notes for quite a while. An hour later on the ride home I could still taste it.
Thoughts: I truly expected to be underwhelmed by this but it is everything I’ve ever wanted in a bourbon. It has wonderful oak complexity but it’s not funky. The mouthfeel is sublime, the flavors are decadent, and there’s almost no heat so it’s smooth as butter. This is perfection.
Rating: 100. I am forever ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment