Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Stagg Jr #2 (128.7) Review

The first release of Stagg Jr was my most disappointing bottle of 2013. To be fair, I had a lot of emotional baggage tied up in it and only went for one after I had such a hard time getting a George T. Stagg. I rated the first release pretty low. That score might be harsh but I stand by my dislike of that release mostly do to the infernal pepper assault I get in the nose, palate, and finish. I was intrigued by rumblings that the second release was quite a bit better. I’m a sucker for anything with the Stagg label and I felt like I need to give it another chance so when I was offered a bottle today I grabbed it.
64.35% ABV; No Age Statement; $55

Nose: Lots of heat even after sitting for 30 minutes but nothing like the fireball of the first release. Buttered popcorn, lots of wood sugar sweetness - caramel, maple syrup. The heat is less pepper heat and more like hot corn.
Taste: I sampled the 1st release prior to this review and the first thing I noticed was that there is not nearly as much upfront heavy sweetness as the first release. The lower proof really shows but there is still plenty of depth and loads of sweet wood sugars noted in the nose. - salted caramel, corn bread pudding. The salt and pepper I noted in the first release are still there in a big way. Again like the nose though the pepper isn’t quite as engulfing. It’s rather unique but still a bit harsh.
Finish: Moderately long but not as long as the first release. Still harsh oak, salty, and peppery but again nowhere near as offensive as the first release.
Notes: I consider it a victory that I didn’t have to stop and add water halfway through this one like last time. It’s an improvement over the first release for sure.
Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment