Monday, April 28, 2014

Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Review

Here's a review I didn't necessarily decide to do on my own but was part of my participation in one of /r/bourbon's regular community reviews.
40.0% ABV; $13.50 (375ml)

I haven’t drank Jack Daniels in 3 years and 11 months. I know that because I remember exactly where I was the last time I had it. I spent two weeks in Belfast in 2010. By the end of the two weeks I was deeply sick of Irish Whiskey and Guinness and the handful of other options that are consistently available there. I went into a bar and asked for the most ‘MURICAN think I could think of - a Jack n’ coke. They handed me a shot of Jack Daniels and a glass bottle of coca cola. Hah! I cut my teeth on this stuff in my 20’s, mainly mixed with coke. I somewhat cringed when I saw it as the community review but I figured I would suck it up since we have a history. Confession bear: I didn’t go to any of my regular stores to buy this, I didn’t want the shame.

Nose: Smokey charred oak. Sour fruits, old overly ripe bananas. Woody was always my biggest impression of Jack before I had a lot of whiskey experience and I think it still holds true today.
Taste: Decent mouthful. Fair amount of sweetness in the form of banana cream and a little caramel. It’s very easy but then again it’s only 80 proof.
Finish: Depressingly short, no doubt handicapped by the abysmally low 80 proof. There is a little harsh heat the lingers and some sweetness but the predominance is bitter char.
Notes: Charred wood and bananas are the two most notable things I get out of this one but unfortunately neither of those really excite me. The proof is much lower than I like and overall there is nothing interesting that would have me asking for it again. My biggest problem now is figuring out what to do with the rest of the bottle - I should have bought a smaller one.
Rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment