Friday, April 7, 2017

Elijah Craig Small Batch Review

Elijah Craig is a product that's seen a lot of changes over the last few years. First the 12 year age statement was moved to the small print on the back label. Not long after that the 12 year age statement dropped completely. Then here today we have a newly introduced bottle design that I don't care for at all. Not only do I dislike the new bottle shape but the marketing bullshit slathered all over the front label rubs me all kinds of wrong ways. Sure Elijah Craig was a distiller hundreds of years ago but there's no proof that he's the "Father of Bourbon" and many noted American whiskey authorities doubt he was making anything different from his peers. Further damaging to this claim is information from bourbon historian Mike Veach that it's unlikely Craig was even barreling his whiskey because during his time whiskey was taxed by the amount produced rather than the amount sold so barrel aging would be lost profits. Beyond that, the "first to char oak barrels" bit on the label is complete poppycock as well since the French were charring oak barrels to make cognac as far back as the 15th century. 
Marketing driven label poop is the norm these days so despite that, I like Heaven Hill well enough as they haven't done much wrong by me. I got my introduction to the Elijah Craig brand 7 or so years ago when the 18 year was an incredible value at ~$50 so things got off to a good start. I'm also a huge fan of Barrel Proof as I think that is the best semi-available, sub $100, consistent, cask strength product you can buy. I was never really a fan of Elijah Craig 12 however as I always thought it was a bit too oak heavy. While that works for me in the barrel proof, when cut with water it's just a completely different experience. Now that this product is a no age statement blend though I'm expecting a less oaky experience and have higher hopes I will enjoy it.
bottle
No Age Statement
47% ABV
$33
Nose: Smells like your standard, middle aged, rye based bourbon. Vanilla, caramel, rye spice bite. It smells like a 10-12 year old bourbon with little perceptible young or grainy new make notes. If I had one complaint it does breath a little warm for only being 94 proof which is surprising because this bottle has been open a while and is nearly gone. 
Taste: Tastes like it smells. All classic bourbon notes here. Lots of oak, drinks about like a blended average of 10-11 years. Sweet vanilla/honey/caramel in the front, oak tannins in the middle, and a finish of slight rye spice, darker sweets like cocoa, and lots more oak. The palate is not as heat forward as the nose but it is still a touch hotter than I think it should if I'm being nit picky. It might even be still too oak forward for my tastes at times.
Thoughts: An incredibly okay bourbon. Plain, simple, familiar, comforting - no more, no less. While some may be upset that it no longer bears that 12 year age statement, I think I like the no age statement version better. I don't think it's as much as a bitter oak bomb as the previous version though I am just going off memory. I think this can old its own with other classics like Blanton's so when considering the price, this is a good value. A few bucks more though and you are in Four Roses Single Barrel price territory which I would take all day long over this.
Rating: C+ / B-
Note that price is not considered when assigning a rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment