Monday, November 16, 2015

Redbreast 12 Single Pot Still Review

This is a review I did as part of the community reviews on the worldwhisky subreddit. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Redbreast but don’t have a lot of experience with their products or other Irish Whiskeys for that matter. I have had the Redbreast cask strength though which I loved so I expected the non cask strength version to be pretty good as well. From what I recall, this is a triple distilled malt whiskey that is aged in former Oloroso sherry casks.
bottle 
Aged 12 years; 40% ABV; $55
Nose: Light, sweet, and fruity. It noses a bit dainty which is likely due to the lowish ABV. After some time airing out the fruity notes back off a bit and it ends up something like honey and jam covered toast.
Taste: The taste is surprisingly rich given the aforementioned low ABV. There’s lots going on here, especially on the sweet side with fruity notes being the most dominate. Upfront it starts with a blast of honey and some lighter fruits like apples/pears which transition to darker fruits like prunes and raisins towards the finish. There are some other darker notes in the finish as well like dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans as well as a little light spice.
Thoughts: Great nose, great taste, nice finish. Very easy to drink. I’m very impressed at the amount of flavor this delivers despite what I consider a low proof. My only complaints are that it lacks a lot of wood depth and is slightly unbalanced towards fruity sweet flavors but overall it is a really good whiskey. The sherry casks have imparted a lot of sweet fruity notes so if you don’t like those this one may not be for you.
Rating: B
Value: As always, I don’t factor cost into my ratings but I would have no problem paying retail for this bottle.
Thanks to /u/mfpark for the samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment