Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Maker’s 46 Review

Maker’s Mark holds a lot of nostalgia for me. The standard offering was the first “premium” bourbon I kept stocked on a regular basis and flasks of Maker’s accompanied me to more than one wedding stowed away in a suit pocket. As such, I tend to hold the brand in a higher regard than some others might. Though I don’t really drink much standard Maker’s anymore I’ve grown quite fond of the more recent cask strength product which I think is a great buy at $50-$60 a bottle. With standard Maker’s and Maker’s Cask Strength out of the way that leaves just one other product in the brand’s portfolio: Maker’s 46.
There isn’t anything special I can say about the backstory on Maker’s 46 that hasn’t already been said numerous times. If you want a more thorough history of the product I suggest you check out Red White & Bourbon’s excellent review here. The TLDR; on the product is that it’s a 6-ish year version of their standard wheated bourbon which has been finished for a couple of months in barrels containing “seared” French Oak staves.
bottle
47% ABV; No Age Statement; $37
Notes: The nose is dominated by a sharp, fresh cut woodiness. I almost want to say it reminds me more of evergreen or pine than oak as it has a green feel to it. There are the typical sweet wood flavors like vanilla in there as well but it’s hard to get past the wood astringency. The sharp green wood dies down a little on the sip but again I find it the dominant flavor. It’s not until the end of the palate and the finish that I can really get beyond the wood notes and find typical wheated bourbon flavors like vanilla cinnamon cake batter. With all the added woodiness I find the finish to be very dry.
Thoughts: The French Oak stave process has certainly made Maker’s 46 very unique. I can’t think of any other bourbon that tastes like this. That unique flavor can also be a huge negative though if you don’t like the woody notes is brings. For me, I just continually find something off-putting about the evergreen pine wood taste here but I can see where others would enjoy it.
Rating: I'm not a fan but this is one that everyone just needs to try for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment