Thursday, March 19, 2015

Henry McKenna Single Barrel Review

This a review I did as part of the /r/bourbon “Community Review” series. The fact that it was voted as a community review is a good indication that public opinion of it runs high. I have up and down experiences with Heaven Hill products though so I was a bit skeptical that I would be into it as much as everyone else.
Aged 10 years; Barrel No. 1287; 50% ABV; $32
The nose brings lots of oak, char, sweet, and spice. It reminds me of a spicy barbecue sauce on hickory smoked ribs. There is a little musty oak funk on the end of the nose like I get in older Elijah Craig (21+) which is odd because this bourbon is only half that old. Any of that funk completely disappears on the tongue though as the taste is sweet and spicy like a good high rye bourbon should be. Sugar caramel candies and honey resound in the front and peppery rye spice takes hold on the back. The spice is very rich and rather warm. On the finish there is a considerable amount of salty and smoky char which is very savory. I really like the mouthfeel and density here as it feels rich and almost thick. The proof is really helping give it some body.
Thoughts: In an age of “shortages”, ever increasing prices, and disappearing age statements, there’s a lot to like about Henry McKenna. It’s easy to find, it’s bottled at a respectable proof, the age is modest, and the price is a bargain for the quality. This isn’t a bourbon that is going to blow you away but it’s as good as or better than some bourbons that cost a lot more than it does. In a lot of ways this reminds me how I felt about Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel years ago given the similarities in value and profile. This might seem like heresy coming from a former Elmer fanboy but I’d say this bottle is better than the last two or three Elmer bottles I’ve owned and I would even put it over a few other Buffalo Trace Single Barrels like Blanton’s or Eagle Rare as well. If you are fan of high rye bourbons this is certainly a great economical daily sipper to keep stocked.
Rating: B/B+

No comments:

Post a Comment