Monday, June 30, 2014

Rittenhouse Rye Review

50.0% ABV; $28; DSP KY 1

Nose: Rye menthol spice, vanilla, toffee, cocoa powder.
Taste: Sweet and balanced. Caramel, chocolate, cloves, minty menthol. Not very rye forward at all. I would say this one initially goes down more like a high rye bourbon than a rye but that makes sense because the rye content here (51%) just barely allows it to qualify as a Rye whiskey. The rye spice starts to dominate at end of the palette.
Finish: Rye spice is very upfront on the finish. The spice is very minty-menthol and less cinnamon than some other rye notes like I get in Four Roses. As such, the spice isn't as sweet but there is a nice lingering dark cocoa sweetness that comes in at the end. Finish is on the short side of medium in length.
Notes: I've been a big fan of Rittenhouse for a long time. I first started buying it for old fashioneds because it was cheap and had enough spice and heat to punch through for a good classic cocktail. I had an amazing discovery during that time when I tried it on its own and realized it was a great whiskey just for sipping. My opinion and love for it was further cemented a couple of months ago when I rated it number 1 in a blind tasting against 4 other ryes. What I really love about Rittenhouse is the harmony and balance of the spice to sweetness. While neither of those elements are especially deep or complex, neither is overpowering either. It's just a straightforward all around good whiskey.
Rating: B-
Buy Recommendation: You'd be hard pressed to beat this rye in the sub $30 price range. The closest competitor would be Dickel/Bulleit but those Monongahela style ryes are going to be way more spice forward and a lot less balanced in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment