Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Colonel E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof (135.4) Review

Being a cask strength junkie, 2013 was a great year for me because we saw the introduction of quite a few barrel proofers. My first barrel proof purchase of the year was the Stagg Jr which I thought was wretched. After I read this review from the Smoky Beast though I had high hopes the Colonel Taylor offering could restore my faith in Buffalo Trace's ability to put out a good cask strength offering. 


67.71% ABV; No Age Statement; $80

The nose is very spicy which is odd considering the mashbill which is relatively low spice. There is some sweet like molasses and something floral like roses. It's a pretty hot nose which isn't surprising at 135 proof.
On the taste the spice is building where it left off on the nose. There is a good amount of sweet - more molasses, some caramel, a little honey, and bit of leather. It is drinkable at proof… again like the nose it’s surprising the amount of flavor that can overcome the heat at this strength. It is thick but not heavy and what you would expect from a great uncut bourbon. The spiciness really starts to put the hammer down in the finish. Again pretty hot but what do you expect at this proof. Molasses still lingers but is fighting a hard battle against the heat and spice. 

Thoughts: I love it. All I wanted this year was a bottle of Stagg like from previous years. I do like this year’s Stagg but having come from the lower warehouse floors this year’s release is a lot lower proof which I discern by its reduced flavor. The Taylor doesn't have that handicap though so I'm willing to go out on a limb and say this bottle can stand toe to toe with the 2013 Stagg. It has the grandiosity, spice, and heat that I crave in an intense barrel strength bourbon. It does lose some points in that it’s not as layered or complex as any Stagg I've ever tried though. Compared to other barrel strengths this year - I haven't tried the ECBP yet but I wouldn't take 5 Stagg JRs for one bottle of this.

Rating: A- / B+

No comments:

Post a Comment